Please allow me to introduce you to my new best friend, Cookies & Cream Cupcakes. In case you need any convincing about how amazing these cupcakes are (which you probably don't), they received numerous compliments along the lines of "this is the best dessert I've ever eaten." These were actually just an afterthought for me since I had so many oreos left over after stuffing chocolate chip cookies with them. Turns out they're more of a revelation than an afterthought.
It's hard to tell from the photo, but the cupcake batter is filled with oreo chunks and baked on top of half an oreo (quite similar in style to these Mini Oreo Cheesecakes, actually). The frosting is a hybrid cream cheese/buttercream, and is the perfect light compliment to the massive quantity of oreos that these cupcakes deliver into your mouth. Although I'm a sucker for anything oreo-related anyways, I can say objectively that these will melt your heart. At the very least, they're a front runner for best cupcakes I've ever made.
Cookies & Cream Cupcakes
Adapted from Annie's Eats, originally from Beantown Baker
Makes 24 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
24 Oreo halves, with cream filling attached
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 2/3 cup sugar
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup milk
20 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
For the frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 tbsp. heavy cream
For the garnish
Oreo cookie crumbs
24 Oreo cookie halves
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line the wells of two cupcake pans with 24 paper liners. Place an Oreo half in the bottom of each liner, cream side up.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir together with a fork to blend and set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar and beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Blend in the egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in the vanilla extract.
4. With the mixer on low speed, beat in half of the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Add the milk and beat just until combined, then mix in the remaining dry ingredients. Gently fold in the chopped Oreos with a rubber spatula until evenly incorporated, being careful not to over-mix.
5. Evenly divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make the frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium-high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Blend in the vanilla extract. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar until incorporated and smooth, 1-2 minutes. Add the heavy cream to the bowl and beat on medium-low speed just until incorporated, then increase the speed to medium-high and whip for 4 minutes until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
7. Frost the cooled cupcakes as desired. Sprinkle with Oreo crumbs and garnish with Oreo halves.